Sunday, December 1, 2013

Review: The Hazards of Skinny Dipping by Alyssa Rose Ivy

The Hazards of Skinny Dipping by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Publication Date: May 17, 2013
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Number of Pages: 248
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

 This isn't a deep book about first loves or self-discovery. If you want a book like that, I'd be happy to recommend one, but I don't have that kind of story to tell. Instead my story is about rash decisions and finding out that your dream guy is bad in bed. It's the story of when I finally went skinny dipping, and how my life was never the same again. Oh, and it's also the story of my freshman year of college and realizing Mr. Right might have been there all along.



Meet Juliet. She's about to start college in the far, and her cousin Amy believes she hasn't really had any great experiences. Amy has given Juliet a list of things to do during the summer before college. The summer is ending and Juliet has done all but the last item, the one she is fearing the most; go skinny dipping. She's finally does it at her family's beach house after staying an extra weekend with everyone has gone home. Doing it in your own pool while home a lone is kind of lame, but hey you gotta start somewhere. Much to Juliet's horror, one of her neighbor's pull up and comes over to say hi. Enter Dylan. He's older, and Juliet has had a crush on him forever. Seems like he has been eying Juliet for a while now and one thing leads to another and she ends up sleeping with him. Should be perfect right? Wrong. Apparently Mr. Perfect is very bad in bed.

Fast forward it a few weeks. Juliet is at college, which happens to be the same college Dylan and his brother Kyle attends; not to mention her cousin Amy graduated from there. It's not long before she runs into Dylan again and it seems that Dylan hasn't been able to get Juliet off his mind.

The minute Dylan turned up again I knew how this was going to go. But on one hand who could blame the girl? She's finally with her dream guy, the one she's been crushing on for years, not to mention he's senior in college while she's a freshmen. It isn't long until she meets Reed. It's not long before they become fast friends. I couldn't tell at first if he was into her or if Reed was just flirty by nature. It wasn't long before my question was answered. I wanted to yell at Juliet so many times during the book, I couldn't believe she put up with him as long as she did.

The writing wasn't the best. It was just ok, at some points cheesy. Not to mention that Juliet pretty much had all the guys falling all over her. That part didn't bother me, she was never really described, and assuming from the context she's hot. Hot girl, especially one pledging for a sorority, at college? Yes, guys are going to be falling all over her. And it's not like it was every guy on campus. Reed was perfect. And I spent half the book screaming at Juliet to dump Dylan and get with Reed. Although, I wish the book would of went more into Dylan's obsession with Juliet, kind of curious where it came from. There was a little twist towards the end that reminded me of Forget You by Jennifer Echols.

Overall the book was good. Like I said the writing was cheesy at some points, but I ended up loving it. Especially the last half of the book, which made me smile through the whole thing.


Rating: 4/5





No comments:

Post a Comment